Before we could dive into the four dimensions of wellness, we need to have some understanding of the concept of ‘Wellness’
What do we understand by Wellness?
- Advertisement -
Wellness is neither a passive nor static state but rather it is an active pursuit that is associated with your wills, intentions, choices, and actions as we work toward an optimal state of general wellbeing. Like I’ve said earlier, it works towards the general well-being of lifestyles. Hence, it extends beyond physical health lifestyle and collaborates many different dimensions which we are going to make some enlightenment on in this article.
Take note that Wellness is an individual pursuit, an active pursuit to be precise. However, we are responsible for every one of our own choices, behaviors, and lifestyles made but it is also significantly influenced by the physical, social, environments, and even the spiritual in which we live.
Wellness shouldn’t be mixed up with the lifestyle. just because it is often confused with terms such as health, wellbeing, and happiness. Well, there are some common elements among them, wellness is distinguished by not referring to a static state of being that is being happy, in good health, or a state of well-being. Rather, wellness is concerned with an active process of being aware and making choices that lead toward an outcome of optimal health and general wellbeing.
- Advertisement -
Wellness can be Multidimensional, it is about more than just physical health, it tends to have about 7 dimensions.
Wellness is commonly viewed as having seven dimensions. Each dimension contributes to our sense of wellness or quality of life, and each affects and overlaps the others. At times one may be more prominent than others, but neglect of any one dimension for any length of time has adverse effects on overall health.
- Advertisement -
The Seven Dimensions of Wellness
Firstly, it encompasses a variety of healthy behaviors including adequate and regular exercise, proper nutrition, and abstaining from harmful habits such as drug use and alcohol abuse. It means learning about and identifying symptoms of disease, getting regular medical checkups, and protecting yourself from injuries and harm. Developing such healthy habits today will not only increase your lifespan but will enhance the enjoyment and quality of those years.
Tips for optimal physical wellness:
- Regular exercise or workout session
- Having a good rest is necessary.
- Use your seat belts, helmets, and other protective equipment when you’re on a run.
- Learn to recognize early signs of illness
- Eat a variety of balanced diets.
- Be in control of your meal portions.
- Abstain totally from smoking and stay out of second-hand smoke.
- Alcohol drinking, drink responsibly if at all you will have a taste.
This is a unique state that fluctuates frequently with your other six (6)
dimensions of wellness. Being emotionally well is typically defined as possessing the ability to feel and express human emotions such as sadness, happiness, and anger. It means having the ability to love and be loved and achieving a sense of fulfillment in life. Emotional wellness encompasses optimism, self-esteem, self-accept, and the ability to share feelings.
Tips for optimal emotional wellness:
- Align to your thoughts and feelings
- Try to cultivate an optimistic attitude.
- Seek and provide support when needed.
- It is necessary to learn time management skills.
- Practice stress management techniques are also very important.
- Always Accept your faults and forgive yourself.
This encourages creativity and also stimulates mental activities. We need to continually inspire Our minds and exercise just as our bodies do. Numerous people who possess a high level of intellectual skills wellness have an active mind and they continue to learn nonstop. An intellectually well person leverages the resources available to expand one’s knowledge and improve skills. Being updated on current and trending events and getting themselves involved in activities that arouse our minds are also very important.
Recommended Tips and Suggestions for Optimal Intellectual Wellness includes
- Get yourself a course or workshop.
- Learn and try to perfect a foreign language or more.
- Seek out people who could challenge you intellectually.
- Read out of the box.
- Always Learn to appreciate art.
This refers to our ability for us to interact successfully with people in our global community and to also live up to the expectations and dining good communication skills, to develop intimacy with others, and create a strong support network of friends and family members.
This includes showing respect for others and yourself, and also contributing to your community builds a sense of belonging.
Recommended Tips and Suggestions for Optimal Social Wellness includes
- Try to cultivate healthy relationships.
- Always get yourself involved.
- Always contribute to the affairs of your community.
- Share your talents and skills
- Always communicate your feelings, thoughts, and ideas.
This involves embracing a set of guiding beliefs, principles, or values that help give direction to one’s life. It encompasses a high level of hope, faith, and commitment to your individual beliefs that provide a sense of meaning and purpose. It is about the willingness to seek meaning and purpose in human existence, to question everything, and to appreciate the things which cannot be readily explained or understood.
Being a spiritually well person, you seek harmony between what lies within as well as the forces outside.
Recommended Tips and Suggestions for Optimal Spiritual Wellness Includes
- Be triggered to explore your spiritual core.
- Try to spend time alone and meditate regularly.
- Being curious and inquisitive should be part of you.
- Get yourself involved in everything you do.
- Be attentive to your heart and always live by your principles.
- Make yourself and those around you live in the freedom to be who they are.
- Embrace every opportunity for growth in the challenges life brings you.
Environmental wellness is an awareness of the unstable state of the earth and the effects of your daily habits on the physical environment. It consists of maintaining a way of life that maximizes harmony with the earth and minimizes harm to the environment. It includes being involved in socially responsible activities to protect the environment.
Recommended Tips and Suggestions for Optimal Environmental Wellness includes
- Put a stop to your junk mail.
- Maximize the usage of water and other resources.
- Minimize the usage of chemicals.
- Learn to Recycle, Reduce and Reuse resources.
- Learn to Renew your relationship with the resources.
This is also called Vocational Dimension. It involves the preparation and usage of your ideas, gifts, skills, and enrichment in your life. The development of occupational satisfaction and wellness is related to your attitude about your work. Achieving optimal occupational wellness allows you to maintain a positive attitude and experience satisfaction in your employment. It also means successfully integrating a commitment to your occupation into a total lifestyle that is satisfying and rewarding.
Recommended Tips and Suggestions for Optimal Occupational Wellness includes
- The Exploration of different varieties of career options.
- Bring ideas that will create visions for your future.
- Choose a course and career that aligns with your personality.
- Release yourself to change and learn new skills.