People opt for in-home test kits to avoid the burden of having to go to the hospital to get information about their health. However, over the years, concerns have been raised about the accuracy of these home test kits. In this article, we will do a review on “Everlywell test kits” as a case study for home test kits. We will look into their operation, the tests they offer and whether these home test kits can take the place of medical practitioner visits.
WHAT IS EVERLYWELL?
- Advertisement -
Julia Cheek founded Everlywell, an online home testing kit firm. The company was incorporated in 2015, and has its headquarters in Austin, Texas, United States. Everlywell provides thirty (30) variety of tests which includes men’s health, women’s health, sexual health, weight and energy, and general wellness.
HOW EVERLYWELL WORKS?
- Order a test kit first. Following your request, a board of qualified doctors will assess and approve your order based on the individual’s state. Within 5 to 10 working days after the request has been approved, a mail will be sent. The test kits will be used for a period of five months.
- The next stage is collecting samples. The kit comes with a detailed direction on how the test can be conducted at home. If you have any concerns or questions after receiving the test, assistance is available on the Everlywell website.
- After taking the samples, place them in a biohazard bag with pre-paid shipping label so they may be easily retrieved for testing. According to Everlywell, samples take 2 to 3 days to arrive at the laboratory for testing.
- Depending on the samples, results can be received within five days of working days. A mail can be sent or information can be gotten via your Everlywell account. Tests are available for adults between the age of eighteen (18) years and above.
Everywell currently supplies to 49 countries within the United States and the cost for test varies. Here’s a quick review on the category of test prize:
- Men’s health = $49 -$199
For men’s health samples can be taking via saliva and finger prick. Tests available for men ranges from testosterone, cortisol, estradiol to dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEA-S)
- Advertisement -
- Sexual health = $49 -$149
This test checks for sexually transmitted infection and samples are usually done via urine. Trichomoniasis, Chlamydia and Gonorrhea are among the tests available
- Women’s health = $49 -$199
Samples can be done through urine, finger prick or saliva. Ovarian Reserve, women’s fertility Perimenopause, and Post menopause are among the tests available for women’s health.
- Weight and energy = $49 -$99
This category of test checks for hormones responsible for weight lost. Depending on the test, samples might be obtained through finger prick or saliva. Tests available includes: Vitamin D, Metabolism and Thyroid
- General wellness = $49 -$259
These tests are intended for the general public. Depending on the tests, samples can be taken via finger prick, nose swab, or urine. Indoor and Outdoor Allergy, Cholesterol and Lipids, Lyme disease, folic acid, heavy metals, HbA1c, FIT colon cancer screening, heart health, sleep and stress, food sensitivity and COVID-19 test home collection kit are among the test available.
- Advertisement -
Everlywell offers monthly membership packages for $24.99 as well as discounts for their test kits. It should be noted that many insurance companies do not cover this type of in- home tests kits including Medicaid plans and Medicare. To access these in- home test kits, you may purchase them from Amazon, Walmart but not all these kits are available to merchants. Additionally, you can visit the Everlywell’s website www.everlywell.com for more information about their products and prices.
Benefits of Everlywell home tests kits
Everlywell home test kits have a number of advantages:
- Everlywell home test kits makes it more convenience and easier access to information concerning one’s health status.
- Conduct a variety of tests ranging from persistent allergies, weight and energy to sexual health issues.
Disadvantages of Everlywell home test kits
- Samples are taken without the guidance of medical practitioners
- The methodologies used for test conduction, particularly food sensitivity testing, have or no evidence to back them up.
- Tests are frequently costly and are similar to those performed by a regular doctor without insurance