Mouth Dryness, Its Causes, And Solutions: Life in the present generation is often stressful for many people. They get engaged in a lot of activities. Some take part in two to three different money augmenting jobs.
This alone makes the brain stay awake and active. However, little do some know that this can affect the mental state of health. Some people find it difficult to get good and sound sleep at night. So, when they sleep at night, they realize that their mouth becomes dry.
This problem could be attached to medical reasons. Some of the reasons why months might become dry are explained below. However, it is noteworthy that dryness in the mouth does not only come during the night.
It is a disease called “Xerostomia”. Therefore, it could be experienced at any time of the day. Like other illnesses, it can disturb humans from performing normal daily activities.
Mouth dryness can make it difficult to eat, drink or speak. It can sometimes cause pain in the mouth or the lungs.
The major cause of mouth dryness is dehydration. Dehydration is the state whereby the water level of the body is reduced or exhausted. There are some other medically proven causes of Xerostomia, and mouth dryness.
Mouth Dryness, And Its Causes
- One possible cause of this is the disease of the liver: the function of the liver in the body is blood filtration. It filters the blood by separating the blood from other unwanted elements in the blood; like toxins and some other wastes. Toxins and wastes would not be expelled from the body when the liver is diseased. This might be very Injurious to health. Dryness in the lips, or the mouth, therefore, could be a symptom of a faulty liver. If this persists, you are expected to act quickly by contacting a doctor before the minor issue escalates.
- Another cause of mouth or lips dryness is digestion problems: sometimes when you take in food at the wrong time, your food will not get digested. Some other reasons, however, can cause indigestion. And, when there is indigestion, such undigested food absorbs water from your body, thereby increasing your blood pressure. Your lips will possibly get dried because the undigested food in your body is trying to get digested and at the same time absorbing water in your body.
- Dehydration: when you don’t take in enough water, the water in your body becomes dehydrated. And, during sleep, water tends to reduce in your body, thereby making your mouth become dry when sleeping.
- Mouth disease: some mouth illnesses can also cause mouth dryness. If you have periodontitis or there’s a disease in your gum, there would be the reproduction of microorganisms in your gum. This can cause dryness in the mouth.
- Another major cause of mouth dryness is diabetes: diabetes is a disease that is characterized by high glucose. When someone is diabetic, such a person has a high tendency of having mouth dryness. This is possible because the illness is capable of reducing the water in the body.
- Hyperthyroidism: Hyperthyroidism is the high production of thyroxine hormone in the body. Hyperthyroidism causes an increase in metabolism.
- When you breathe through the mouth or you snore, you will possibly encounter mouth dryness. When you Breathe through your mouth, saliva evaporates. Also, when you snore with your mouth, the same effect will likely occur. With this, your mouth can become dry or possibly increase the existing mouth you might have before.
- Fever also can cause the body water to be reduced.
- Another important but shocking cause of mouth dryness is medication: some medications are naturally designed to reduce the water in the body. It is medically proven that there are about 400 plus medications that can cause mouth dryness.
Mouth Dryness And Solutions
It is not a serious illness in the body. However, it requires immediate action. Often, the symptoms can be eradicated or reduced with the help of some practices. Which include;
- Taking in enough water in the body or licking ice cubes.
- Alcohol and caffeine reduction. This will limit the chances of having unnecessary diseases that will disturb the body
- Reduction in intake of contents that possess both salt and sugar. This content can be in a liquid or solid state. It can also be chewing gum.
- Usage of humidifiers. Humidifiers are devices that are used to keep a particular area wet. Humidifiers can help make the room wet, thereby reducing the chances of having mouth dryness.
- Taking very good care of the mouth. You can do this by brushing your teeth regularly as required by the doctor and taking medical check-ups often. Also, do not forget to breathe with your lips closed. That is to say that you should breathe with your nose, not with your mouth.
- Another important point to take note of is using the proper type of mouthwash and toothpaste. Some kinds of toothpaste are designed to help reduce mouth dryness. Use these kinds of toothpaste regularly