Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is a virus caused by SARS-CoV-2 which damages the respiratory system. Symptoms of coronavirus includes migraine, chest pain, weariness, sore throat, difficulty in breathing, loss of taste or smell, fever, diarrhea.
According to the reports from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), over 215 million people has been vaccinated against Covid-19 in the United States as of February 23, 2022. Despite this, more people need to get vaccinated against Covid-19. As a result of this need, the Food and Drug Administration has approved 16 at home coronavirus tests, allowing a large number of people to be tested in the privacy and safety of their homes. Additionally, the FDA authorized all of these tests under EUA, emergency use authorization. This means that, at home test kits can only be used for a duration of the public health emergency.
Over times, questions about the validity and reliability of these at home Covid -19 tests. Covid -19 at home collection kits are very reliable because tests are processed in the same labs used by medical practitioner. You can be guaranteed to get an accurate result by following the test kit’s instructions. According to a review published in 2021, saliva or nasal swab samples for a Covid- 19 test.
- Advertisement -
HOW DO THESE AT HOME COVID-19 TEST KITS WORK?
- If your doctor has yet to order a test for you, you can place your order through the website of the home test product that you want to use.
- You fill out an intake survey as seen on the website
- Your response will be examined by the test provider’s own physician to see if you could be at risks.
- An at-home test kit will be sent to you once your eligibility has been verified
- Saliva or nasal swab will be used to collect samples depending on the at-home test kit you chose.
- The majority of these at-home test kits include instructions for collecting samples in a seamless manner.
- Your samples need to be returned to the test providers, either by mail or by courier.
- The majority of these at-home test companies require payment up front, while a few do provide financial assistance or insurance options.
- Results are usually available in a few days and distributed online.
- Virtual consultations are made available by the at-home test companies either during the collecting procedure or after the results have been reviewed.
A GUIDE TO AT-HOME CHOICES COVID-19 TESTS
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA) authorization.
- Take into account the collection procedure.
- Duration taken for the results to be delivered.
- What are the many types of Covid-19 at-home tests available?
FIVE BEST AT-HOME COVID-19 TESTS
- Pixel by Labcorp
Labcorp is the most accessible at-home COVID-19 test, especially for those who are uninsured. Nasal swab is the method of sample collection used by Labcorp. If you choose the Pixel at -home test kit, you will be required to fill out a survey, which is optional. Payment is not always required in advance, and results are usually available one to two days after the lab receives your sample. Free consultation is provided for those who test positive of Covid-19 or whose results are undetermined.
- Advertisement -
When it comes to budget, FlowFlex is the best option. Samples are taken via nasal swab with a sterile swab provided, and results are available in 15minutes.
Everlywell was the first at home test providers for Covid-19 to offer Emergency Use Authorization (EUA). Everlywell offers more than 30 different types of at-home test kits. It can also check for symptomatic and asymptomatic coronavirus infection. Samples are taken using via a nose swab, and results are available in one to two days. Everlywell has received recognition for its ease in use during sample collection.
Vitagen is the most private option. Vitagen works in collaboration with Rutgers University Cell & DNA Repository (RUCDR), and saliva is used to gather samples. Within two to three days, the results will be available and will be submitted on their website. Vitagen accepts upfront, FSA and HAS are payment options.
For companies who buy in quantity, this is the best option. DxTerity, likeVitagen, takes saliva sample, and results are available in 1 to 3 days. Samples are transmitted through FedEx once they have been collected.
- Advertisement -
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
When can I order an at-home Covid 19 test kit?
As soon has you are feeling any Covid 19 symptoms.
Are at-home test kits reliable?
At- home test kits are generally reliable because they are processed in the same lab medical practitioners use but that does not mean they can’t be prone to errors.
Are at- home test kits covered by insurance?
Most at-home test companies require advance payment. Pixel by Labcorp is the only at-home tests kit that does not require an upfront payment.