Love and romance are two words that are similar in meaning and In usage conventionally because of this, many people ask the question; what is the difference between love and romance. The question isn’t one that’s too difficult to answer. Before we would be able to justify these differences between the two interrelated terms, we will need to explain the two terms individually.
WHAT IS LOVE?
Describing what love is in words is quite a difficult thing to do because love is more than one can express. Usually, love is expressed as an intense feeling or emotion of deep commitment, connection, affection, attachment, and devotion towards an individual. Like said earlier, love is very difficult to explain. Love is one of those unexplainable things. Love is best experienced rather than explained because only the experience can express love. Words would only try to explain it. They can’t convey the correct message of love. This is so because the characteristics of love are unexplainable actions that are done based on one’s initiations. They occur to individuals according to their ability to express it. Some people might not be good at explaining it.
- Advertisement -
Expressing love is not limited to human beings. It can as well be extended to animals and even to non living things. Love can be expressed in different kinds of ways. These ways also are unexplainable. Many people therefore use these ways to explain what love is. They substitute love for those ways. These ways include the following:
- Patience; meaning that you would definitely be patient when having discussions, disagreement or any other thing with someone you love.
- Commitment; this means that when you love someone, you will be committed to seeing the person and whatsoever concerns the person or thing.
- Dedication; when you love someone, being dedicated to such a person won’t be difficult.
- Giving; giving to everyone might be difficult due to the fact it is not usually easy to get substance to replenish the given substance. However, giving to someone you love is 10 times easier because you don’t really have any reason to withhold that which you have.
- Friendship; when you are in love with even a nonliving thing, you realize that you feel like talking more to the thing let alone the thing being one that has life and can talk.
WHAT THEN IS ROMANCE?
Romance is not difficult to explain compared to love. Romance is basically an act of showing gestures to someone, especially someone you love. Romance is usually the act of extending inner feelings or commitment to someone in the form of physical engagement. That is, you act positively towards someone by possibly giving gifts, or saying words or acting.
- Advertisement -
Romance is a good way of showing love. Romance is love in action, meaning that the actions that are in love are called romance. Romance encourages and develops love between two people.
Romance shares characteristics with love in the real sense but the two are different. Usually there are many romantic gestures but they are specific. Examples of gestures that are associated with romance may be giving flowers, hanging out to dine at intimate places and settings, sending text letters or messages that try to convey one’s emotional feelings and expressing feelings of concern and hospitality.
Both romance and love can be combined together because they can work as complements for each other. Notwithstanding this, it is possible for one to be present without the other. That is, some individuals might love but might not know or possess romance ( practical gestures that will show the love) and some might have romance but might but might not actually possess love. People like this often catch the attention of other people easily. Thus, if a relationship possesses one without the other, such relationship might not be enjoyed enough and it might not be durable enough as well but if a relationship has the two, such relationship tends to be enjoyed and it tends to last long enough.
- Advertisement -
DIFFERENCES BETWEEN LOVE AND ROMANCE
Since the meaning of love and romance has been established, we can therefore proceed to the practical differences between the two.
- Love is primarily based on emotions while romance is measured by gestures. To determine if you love someone can be best measured with your emotional connection with such person while to measure how romantic you are I’d primarily based on good gestures.
- Romance and love play a very vital role in maintaining a good and healthy relationship. Both concepts are abstract and both concepts can sometimes be measured with physical activities. Love and romance are both feelings and gestures that can be felt and also experienced. The two are however different from each other.
- .In terms of gestures, love is seen as inner gestures that entail more of abstractness than romance. Examples of activities that differentiate love from romance include: being devoted, having affection, being committed, and many others. Activities related to romance are outward expressions of physical gestures. Examples include, sharing of flowers and exchange of gifts, intimate touches, affectionate cuddles, passionate kissing etc.
- Another difference peculiar to love and romance is that love is very wide and can therefore be classified into various types like universal love, enduring love, playful love, deep friendship love and also romantic love. Here, it’s seen that romantic love is just one of the various classifications of love.
- In terms of a relationship, romantic gestures can lead to having a deep love. Love however does not guarantee romance. It is therefore essential that there’s constant and consistent practice of love and romance in order to maintain a healthy relationship.
- The flow of the two can stop but the flow of love is more constant than the flow of romance. If love is not reciprocated , it doesn’t tend to end easily but if romance is not reciprocated, the flow easily stops.
However, despite the fact that romance and love are not totally the same, we need to emphasize the need that the two should work hand in hand.